Baked Mexican Enchilada Recipe
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1+1/2 cups chicken stock
1 ( 8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
2 ( 4-ounce) cans green chilies ( optional)
1 teaspoon brown sugar ( light)
1. In a large non-stick skillet, warm oil, whisk in chili powder, and flour, reduce heat to low and simmer, continue stir until light brown in color.
2. Whisk in chicken stock, salt, pepper, garlic powder, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, green chilies, and brown sugar. Continue cooking over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Enchilada Ingredients :
4 cups leftover chicken ( remove skin and bones if needed)
1+1/4 cups sour cream ( with chives)
1 small-medium red onion, ( peeled and chopped)
9 corn tortillas ( 6-inch), cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
1 ( 16-ounce) bag Monterrey jack cheese, ( shredded)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large greased baking dish or pan, layer 2 cups chicken, 1/2 homemade sauce, 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 tortillas, 8-ounces cheese, repeat layers.
3. Cover with foil, place on middle rack oven, bake 35-40 minutes, uncover, bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Side servings -> sweet potatoes with butter, carrots, and dessert